What are the secondary and tertiary implications of the emergence of Machine Learning for the creative community? My friend and long term-collaborator, John Gerard’s LACMA research project: Neural Exchange created a perfect chance to sum up my thinking on the topic.Read More
.. To ‘record’ the experiences of the dynamic web is like taking photos of morning dew: fragmentary and one-dimensional, unsatisfactory. The future internet, consisting of machine intelligence communicating with speech rather than all these helpful words on ‘pages’, is even tougher to pin down. Every single web experience is literally performative — a machine pirouetting through a dance of information that is unique to you in that moment and then lost forever.Read More
In the deluge of conferences and talk shops - Remix is quite good.
Sitting (lonely) at the junction of culture, technology and entrepreneurship it brings together naturally creative, curious and organizationally capable people. I find it refreshing and challenging (and a tiny bit chaotic). It reminded me why I love the arts.Read More
The Art Project, that later became the Cultural Institute, that later became Art & Culture actually began back in 2008 in Spain, with a Google earth layer that allowed you to fly into a sketchup model of the Prado with pictures of the building on the inside. It was set up and organized by one girl. Called Clara.
The art project we launched in January 2011 was meant to be a similar rough sketch but with more galleries. In the end 17 galleries were involved and the whole thing became much bigger than we had imagined because people could see the power of that first model. And, you know, lawyers... And we are in the same place again, only this time we've been inundated with requests from museums. That is how these things happen. Not in a major way but in a progression of models that inspire and excite.
- Prado experiment with Google Earth: (2008/9) Press & blog (initiated by Clara Rivera Rodriguez out of Google Spain with help from CL)
- First 'Art project' with StreetView: (2010/11) Press & blog (initiated by Amit Sood, Anna de Paula Hanke, and Sara Rowghani with help from CL)
- 'Cultural Institute' project in press Oct 2011: Press (much reduced CL involvement)
- Physical Institute 'launched' in Paris: mid-2012 (no CL involvement)
- Unified web experience of the Cultural Institute launched with Dead Sea Scrolls, ArtProject, Mandela Archives : Oct 2012 Press & Blog